On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Daniel J. Matyola <danmaty...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why do you Canadians still put up with those silly "royals"?
>
> As the grandson of peasants, the pretension to royalty or nobility
> really offends me.

I am personally offended that our head of state lives in a foreign
land and that for a bill to become law it must first receive "royal
assent".  Yes, that's given by our Governor General, but she is after
all the Queen's representative, and she can be recalled by the Queen
at any time.

I don't think we can really and truly call ourselves an independent
nation as long as that goes on, and I find it humiliating.

That being said, Bill's right.  It works, and it works pretty well.
The Constitution (both written and unwritten, ie:  convention) limits
what the Crown can do in reality.  We are de facto an independent
nation, even if a de jure we aren't.

cheers,
frank