One thing that somewhat concerns me with the Dell 24" (and 27")
monitors is that they only seem to support a 60Hz refresh rate
at full resolution (or so the specs online suggest).

I would have thought that might be a problem; I thought that
European guidelines for monitors suggest 85Hz or higher for a
workplace environment.  Personally I've had problems with 60Hz
systems (and with fluorescent light fixtures) causing headaches.