On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Tom C <caka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Counterpoint... what do most people do with their computers at least
> 75% of the time? Web browse, handle e-mail, watch or listen to media.
> My Droid replaces my laptop a good 80% of the time I'm traveling and
> not actually engaged in work.
>
> Understood, it doesn't run Photoshop, Lightroom, or countless other
> applications, which would make it unsuitable for some.
>
> Agreed it's a pretty slick device for what it does do.  Not
> incorporating Flash is still an all around stupid move though.
>
> Tom C.

Frankly, the iPad just isn't that good for web/mail stuff (nor is a
smartphone). Both pale in comparison to any netbook, which can be
equally mobile with the addition of a Rocketstick and are small and
light enough to carry almost as well as an iPad.

My experience with smartphone's is that they're alright for reading
short or medium length email and extremely light web use but the
moment you want to reply with more than a few words or interact with a
website a netbook starts walking all over the smaller devices. The
iPad looks better for web browsing use than a smartphone due to the
larger and easier to read display, but it's still hobbled by the
virtual keyboard, lack of flash and the limitations in using fingers
for selection.

Media playing is something the iPad does well, most smartphones are
competent as well.

-Adam