Bob,
Farms in the USA started out under 100 acres.
They were what one family could clear and work with an animal.
As mechanical farm implements became more common, farms grew in size.
>From 1900 to 2000, farm equipment became very efficient.
And on the great plaines, you can farm 1,000+ acres with the right equipment.
As farmers invested in more expensive capital equipment,
they looked to farm more acres to maximize the use of their equipment.
That's why farms are so big in the midwest and western USA.
Regards,  Bob S.