On Jul 20, 2010, at 7:58 PM, David J Brooks wrote:

> I'm SO tired of main stream FM playing the same 3-4 songs by the same
> 10-12 artists. So far, for a week, i have been listening to channel 74
> BB Kings Bluesville, and have heard 2 repeated songs.

Here in the States that's a problem even on classical music-dominated public
radio. The same top-40 of the classical domain, very little, if any,
contemporary serious music, especially in the locally-programmed classical
music. The only exceptions are national programs and the major symphony
broadcasts. I'm grateful for the NPR programming carried by our Atlanta public
broadcaster.

However, we also have WREK radio, the 100,000 watt Georgia Tech student-owned
radio station that's about as eclectic as a radio station could possibly be.
Most of the programming is done by individuals or groups who are devoted to
various genres of music -- blues, jazz, country, many flavors of rock, and
traditional and popular music from around the world. I'm especially fond of
Weekend Cornucopia, where you cannot predict from one track to the next what
you're going to hear. The juxtapositions are often wildly different, and not
infrequently comical.

The commercial broadcasters keep attempting to entice students to cough up
their license for lotsa moula, but the students will have nothing of it. When
I'm driving back from the North Georgia mountains I can pick up WREK radio long
before I start picking up other local stations.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net