On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Dario Bonazza
<dario.bona...@virgilio.it> wrote:
>> ..  the location of the lens release button on
>> the Pentax was always an awkward thing for me, I'm used to it being on
>> the opposite side of the lens.
>
> Of course, it mainly depends on what system you are accustomed to. This
> said, I believe the ideal lens release button must be comfortable to reach
> with the left hand, while keeping the lens with your right hand (for
> right-handed people). So the position of Pentax release button is better if
> you change the lens while looking at the front of your camera (turned toward
> you). That was the way I worked for years with cameras such as the MX and
> the ME Super. With cameras having a big grip like those in fashion today, I
> tend to change lenses from above, with the lens pointing forward and the
> camera back resting on my belly. In that case, a lens release button placed
> like Canon and Olympus is better. Wherever the lens release is, I find no
> big problem.

When changing lenses, I tend to hold the body with my left hand and
depress the lens release button, while handling the lens with my right
hand. Grab body, grab lens, press with index finger, turn with right
hand and drop lens into slot in bag, grab next lens, insert and turn
to click.

The position of the Pentax lens release made it hard to figure out
which hand to use to press the release ... drove me a little crazy for
a long time. It's amusing to think of it this way, but it's one of the
reasons I moved to FourThirds bodies ... the lens release button was
much more comfortable to me. LOL!
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com