On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Dario Bonazza
<dario.bona...@virgilio.it> wrote:

>> Huh? My FourThirds SLR lens kit is comprised of four pro-grade Olympus
>> lenses and two Panasonic/Leica lenses. My FourThirds SLR bodies are
>> the Olympus E-1 and Panasonic L1. Everything interchanges and works
>> perfectly. Why is this bad?
>
> I don't think they are mostly zooms. No problem with primes.

Yes, the direction of rotation of the zoom ring is inconsequential
with lenses that don't have zoom rings ... ;-)

The two lenses I was referring to in my kit with regard to zoom ring
rotation direction in my kit are the Panasonic/Leica Vario-Elmarit-D
14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 ASPH OIS and Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5
ED. And the Olympus Zuiko Digital 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED, although I've
sold that lens now

> That's of little help. When focusing, often you don't realize at first sight
> where is focus, hence which direction you have to turn the ring. On the
> other hand, you always know if you have to wide or narrow your view. Thats's
> where rotation direction has some relevance.

I guess we work rather differently. I almost never zoom a lens while I
look through the viewfinder ... I pick what focal length I want to use
and then pull the lens up to my eye. I also see whether I'm defocused
near vs far as soon as I look through the viewfinder and turn the lens
focusing automatically in the direction required to acquire focus.

> ... The day I'll be uncertain
> between switching to either Canon or Nikon, the odd (to me) zoom ring
> rotation will compensate for the odd (to me) bayonet mount rotation of the
> Nikon system

That's funny ... I shot with Nikon gear for 30+ years.
Pentax/Canon/Olympus etc all felt backwards to me on the lens mount
until relatively recently. the location of the lens release button on
the Pentax was always an awkward thing for me, I'm used to it being on
the opposite side of the lens.

:-)

--
Godfrey