On 7/8/10, Cotty, discombobulated, unleashed:

>end, what should be connected to what? Obviously I've got 3 wires from
>the 3.5mm jack - tip, ring and sleeve - which goes to which of the 3
>terminals on the XLR - 1 Chassis, 2 hot, 3 return.

Cory, thanks for the link - in fact it was wired like the page you sent:

<http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/connection/xlr-jack-stereo.html>

But that was the config that didn't work.

I tried this config:

<http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/connection/xlr-jack-mono.html>

And it worked. Which is slightly strange, because I'm taking a stereo
signal and only listening to one side - but in fact it doesn't matter -
when I do a mixdown from Final Cut, the only thing that is stereo is the
music - everything else is mono, but obviously it is mixed onto 2 tracks
as the output from Final Cut is stereo.

So what I needed was an unbalanced cable. I put the tip from the TRS
jack through to the hot pin of the XLR, and then the ground to 1 and 3,
left the TRS ring going nowhere.

Question: if I attach *both* the tip and ring from the TRS to the hot
pin of the XLR (and leaving the TRS sleeve attached to pins 1 and 3 on
the XLR), will I hear both sides of the stereo? I should try it but I'm
knacked for today and I'm out the door at 6.30am....

Thanks

--

Cheers,
  Cotty