Any resolution greater than that of your monitor, most likely around 72 dpi, is lost in the firmware's attempt to interpret the "in between pixel colors or resolution". Apple's 24" iMac LCD screen is 1920 x 1200 pixels. The horizontal dimension of the screen is 20.5". Math says the pixels per inch is 93.66.

However, if you don't constrict the size of an image you post online, as in upload it as actual size, it can be viewed at the resolution you shot it at. Working with images on your computer you know that that is a huge image when viewed at your monitors resolution. Basically pixel for pixel displaying.

So when a photo viewed online takes forever to draw, it's because it is at a higher resolution than the up-loader or the software will allow you to see or download. It wastes time at both ends.

300 dpi seen as 12 inches as sized by you can be viewed at a bit more than 3 times that size. Printing is usually at 150-300 dpi, so it could be 2 times that size printed.

If I'm wrong, someone else will explain it better in a moment, I'm sure.

:-)