Boy - am I glad I asked the questions I did!
I'm answering in this one cause it's the most recent one I read...

All of you have given me such good info and none of you talked down to me (hehe - sensitive old broad that I am)

One misconception I had had was that .png files were better for printing and had little to do with viewing on the monitor... someone at cafepress had gotten on my case about this (skipping long annoying story) . I see that for stuff I load to have printed on anything - my graphics - I should use png instead of jpg in all cases as, apparently, it makes the graphics look better on the monitor as well as in print. As to smugmug -- I load the highest res because, in fact, people do buy (though not enough!) from the site and the files I load will be the ones they use to print from... No one can print from any of my images there - if they tried the paper would be blank. (there is a setting for right click protection)
thanks, guys!

ann
annsan.smugmug.com