Pixel density (dpi) settings are utterly meaningless to web display,
they only matter for printing where you have both a physical print
size and a set resolution (the 1200x800 part) as the combination of
the resolution and the dpi settings combine to produce the physical
print size. For online display only the resolution (1200x800) matters,
the dpi setting is ignored. Monitors are around 100 ppi (pixels per
inch) for the most part these days so that aspect is fixed. ppi is to
monitors what dpi is to prints.

PNG should be used for web graphics, JPEG for photographs.

The big files look better because they have less compression. More
compression tends to add artifacts (ugly patterns not in the original
image) and remove detail so bigger looks better but loads slower.

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca