On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 01:33:16PM +1000, Paul Ewins wrote:
> We joked that the rest of Canada should adopt the slogan "Get over it!".
> They seem to have the same bloody-minded attitude that afflicts the Irish. So
> much energy wasted on meaningless issues, since one European derived way of
> living is usually similar to another. It is nothing like living in the Middle
> East or Arica where being part of the wrong group can result in persecution
> or death.

The same has been true of many parts of Northern Ireland for much of the last
forty years.

For that matter, there were parts of the North Bay in Boston where speaking
with the wrong (that is to say British) accent could be seriously detrimental
to your health.  Fortunately it was fairly easy to spot if you accidentally
wandered into the wrong bar; the collecting tin for the IRA sitting openly on
the counter was generally a giveaway.