From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Doug
Franklin
Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2010 11:05 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: OT PC thingies

On 2010-09-05 9:06, David J Brooks wrote:

> - I may have to buy a new computer. As much as i like my iBook, I may
> just go with another PC, something along the lines of a mid range HP
> or get one built, by a computer company that was highly recommended to
> me for around $6-700

Personally, I'd go with either getting one built, or getting something
other than an HP/Compaq.  I don't have a problem with HP/Compaq's
hardware, but they chock the OS full of preloaded crap software that's
difficult at best to get rid of.  Personally, I'll be getting a Toshiba
next time for that very reason.

> - It will be used primarily for photos, conversions and prints.
> Suggestions for a Video card would be helpful. The computer guy has a
> number of cards for various applications and i would like to get this
> right if i do this.

If you're not doing hard core gaming or video editing, most any video
card will be just fine.  I recently got a motherboard plus AMD Phenom II
955 3.2GHz quad core CPU for under $200 that also had a Radeon 4200
graphics chip built in.  It's more than enough for what you want to do,
plus it has video decoding and HDMI output for "home theater" sorts of
uses.  I don't know if it would save any money, but you might want to
consider nVidia Quadro based boards, since they're performance is
optimized for 2D (normal applications) rather than 3D (gaming) applications.

> I still have my XP home disk and he has XP as well as Windows 7, but
> everything i have is set up for XP so i probably will just use XP
> again.

Is that a retail copy of XP or a copy that came installed on a computer?
  I ask because technically, an OEM version that came preinstalled on a
computer can't legally be moved to a different computer in most cases.
You might end up having trouble with Windows Genuine Advantage if you
try that.

> is my main concern, calibrating the monitor/video card for photos and
> prints.

For the purposes you've described, the calibration will be a lot more
important than what video card you choose.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)

follow the directions.