You had me at "People are too dumb . . ."
-----Original Message-----
From: frank theriault <knarftheria...@gmail.com>
Sender: pdml-boun...@pdml.net
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 22:30:07
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List<pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: What becomes of the broken-hearted?

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Bob Sullivan <rf.sulli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yep.  It's been a quite 4-5 years for McDonald's, but the looneys are
> starting to crawl back out of the woodwork.
> 'Ooouh, that food is bad for you.'

It is, actually.

> 'Ooouh, that food will kill you.'

Eventually it will.

> 'Ooouh, your kids like it and it's bad for them.'

Well, they do, and it is.

> 'Ooouh, we're killing poor defenseless animals just to eat them.'

Aren't we?

After all, that's a pretty clear statement of fact.  Whether one finds
eating meat ethical or not, we ~are~ killing animals and they ~are~
defenseless and we ~do~ kill them to eat them!

> 'Quick, our government needs to save us from these excesses!'

Nah, I like the concept of Darwinism in action.

> 'People are too dumb to make their own choices.'

What's your point?

> 'We should only sell them what they should have, not what they want.'

We live in a capitalist system.  The market drives the economy.  If a
company can make more money selling processed murdered animal
by-product than by selling broccoli and dandelion leaves, then they
have to sell the former, don't they?

> 'From each according to their abilities, to each according to their needs.'

Pinko!

> 'And we'll tell you exactly what your needs are...'

I'm not sure who "we" is.

> Regards,  Bob S.
>
> PS.  I know of no successful enterprise which doesn't cater to what
> the customer WANTS!

PS.  I guess that says a lot about why the free ~enterprise~ system
works so well when it comes to matters of nutrition and health, eh?

;-)

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."  -Henri Cartier-Bresson