On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 02:53:41PM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2010, at 1:50 PM, David J Brooks wrote:
>
> > . . . PZ . . .
>
> You forgot, David. I'm a novice. REALLY a novice. Never encountered "PZ"
> before. What is it? Is it on Stan Halpin's list?

Power Zoom.

A feature (or gimmick) that came out on one series of camera
bodies (the PZ-10/20/1) and some of the FA and FA* lenses.

Basically there is a motor in the lens that can operate the
zoom, so instead of rotating the zoom collar to directly zoom
the lens it becomes a multi-position spring-loaded switch that
zooms at different speeds depending on how far you twist it.

It's handy on long-focal-length zoom lenses, but it's not a
feature that would make me decide for or against any lens.

There were also a couple of trick modes, and an automatic
zoom of the lens to the most compact setting at power off.
I think I used one of the trick modes (zooming to maintain
a constant image size as the subject distance changed) on
a couple of occasions; as best I can recall I never used
the "zoom during long exposure" at all.

The most persistent legacy of the PZ lenses is the power
contacts on the mount to power the in-lens motor; the same
contacts are now used to provide power for the SDM lenses.