On Oct 2, 2010, at 5:02 AM, eckinator wrote:

> 2010/10/2 John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com>:
>>
>> Well, to the extent that they reduce a business cost, but what I mean is
>> Pentax doesn't make X number of Dollars, Euro, Yen ... profit off of each
>> repair as was implied.
>>
>> It's just a bad business practice to manufacture shoddy goods, and then
>> expect to make money off of repairing defects, especially if you don't
>> actually repair the defects meaning the item has to be repaired again and
>> again.
>>
>> If Pentax does that, they won't be in business long. They've got their
>> faults as a company, but I just don't think they're that stupid.
>
> agreed. not as a business objective and repairs aren't a profit center
> either I hope but I'd think parts are cost (including warehousing and
> administration) plus X and I'd think there'd be a kickback of sorts
> from CRIS also but can't know for a fact of course. Amen to the shoddy
> goods bit though, SDM doesn't cut it - I just hope DC does...
> Ecke

What's DC? Have you had trouble with an SDM lens, Ecke? I know Robb and Celio
did. Has anyone else on the list had a failure? I'm genuinely curious.
 I have three that SDM lenses I've used extensively since they were first
released, and they work very well. Maybe I got lucky. Or perhaps failures are
magnified on the web, because the victims complain loudly, while those of us
who are satisfied are mum for the most part.
Paul