On 10/2/2010 5:58 PM, P N Stenquist wrote:
Doesn't Pentax Forum whine about everything? I believe there is a
problem, but it's blown out of proportion. My lack of failures or luck
isn't bullshit, it's fact, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a set of
SDM lenses that get more use than mine.
Paul

Sorry for popping in here. Paul, you seem to be among the more active photographers on the PDML. It also seems to be a general consensus that SDM failure is more pronounced the less the lenses are put to use. It could be that you simply exercise your SDM lenses out of trouble in a manner of speaking.

Another thing to take into account, Paul and Bill, is presence, quality and reliability of local Pentax service. Beside your corner of our earth-ball, there are other corners where Pentax gear is not that easy to take care of.

Case to point. I had to bring my MZ-6 (ZX-L) in for AF check up and general clean up. The guy from the service lab called and told me that they'll do all they can, but Pentax, they said, keeps spare parts for just 3 years after discontinuation of its products, so he indicated, he might not be necessarily able to fix my camera should it require anything beyond plain cleaning. Although MZ-6 is ancient by modern measure (bought it in 2002), I take it his claim would be quoted to me about any other Pentax gear I have. Bummer if you ask me.

Boris