On 10/10/2010 4:09 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
On Oct 10, 2010, at 3:34 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:

If you have the two touch Vivitar it is fairly sharp stopped down a bit,
however it's got lots of elements and not the best multi-coating so part of
that unsharpness is due to veiling flair.  A good lens hood helps.

The lens formula is closely related to ,(supposedly identical, in fact, to),
the legendary, (and deservedly by the way), first version of the Series 1
70-210, (which had much better multi-coating).  If you have the later one touch
version I have no experience to relate.

The Albanar and Vivitar are /automatic/ in that they are not /preset/ lenses,
in other words when you trip the shutter the aperture /automatically/ stops
down the what's set on the ring, and then reopens.  If they don't do that
they're broken.  However they have no electronics what-so-ever, and have no way
of communicating the set aperture to the camera, hence the green button.

Oh yes, the Ds won't stop them down in anything other than "M" mode.
Thanks again, P.J. As I say, amazing education I'm getting by asking such a
simple question.

Maybe I need to give the Vivitar a test ride. I think not on this trip, though.

Probably a good idea, to really get the best out of the Vivitar, you'd really have to match the lens hood length to the set focal length, which is inconvienent in a zoom to say the least. I eventually gave up on it when I acquired a Vivitar S1 70-210 f3.5 (second version). Much better flare control, though a bit bigger and heavier.

I finally saw your equipment list, if I were traveling light with your current kit, I take the 100mm and look into getting something a bit wider than the 28mm. Unfortunately the Fa 24mm lenses are well beyond your budget. There are a number of choices in 24-50 two touch zooms in the A lenses, (I find those intriguing but they aren't that well thought of though prices on them have come down lately), and an FA-J in 18-35 which is relatively cheap as well as a couple of 18-55 DA kit lenses which are going for about $70, which are relatively small light and have a good reputation for kit lenses. They also have a couple of Fa 20-35mm f4.0 lenses, one of my favorite zooms, but they're pricey too.

Personally if I were going to Grand Canyon, I'd take it all, well not all really, just lenses to cover from very wide to long(ish) telephoto.

Sincerley,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

--
"His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral
bankruptcy."