Hi Bob and others,

  I'm pleasantly surprised that an enjoyable train travel did happen to
  you in Romania. It must have been with the narrow gauged local train
  in Maramures. These diminutive, slow trains look as if were specially
  conceived for touristic purposes. Unfortunately they are almost an
  extinguished breed and the sad truth is that regular trains makes
  for one of the less civilized sides of life in Romania. More,
  what may seem a cheap fee to you, makes the country - for the vast
  majority of the  population - large as a continent.
  For those of you forseeing a trip around here, do not pick anything
  less than the intercity variety. Best option is a car, as roads are
  on the acceptable side (hope it remains so). :o/

  Servus,  Alin