Hold on guys -too many assumptions about seniors here (of which I am one at
71).  My mother is 93, and uses a Panasonic P&S which has action modes, gets
them right most of the time, and cheerfully downloads to her computer and
emails the results to friends and family.  Doesn't have a clue about using
the computer beyond what I've shown her and/or  written down for her, but
she ain't brain-dead!
Walt, for this task (not one I'd take on, BTW!), I'd try to group them into
classes of experience: if there are any former amateur photographers among
them, they will have a better idea of some of the more sophisticated options
available and can be pointed in that direction.  Those with no photo
experience, yep, Bob Sullivan had it right.  For both groups, you also need
to find out their computer level of comfort.  This surely can't be a one-off
session, I'd want to break it down over two or three at least: advise on the
appropriate purchases, then next time have a hands-on training session on
taking the photos, then finally a practical use of the computer for the
basics.  No more than that to begin with, but I'd offer follow up with
individual coaching as people either got more or less confident.
Is it possible to ask a local dealer to loan two or three examples of the
types of camera under discussion? Maybe two simple P&S and a bridge model?
And what's so terrible about Pentax P&S models Igor?

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia