On Nov 2, 2010, at 2:51 AM, Boris Liberman wrote:

> On 11/1/2010 8:55 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
>> The needle tracks up and down both of my arms spell out "fast
>> primes", but my K-x will do better in low light with f/2.8 glass than
>> my K100 did with f/1.8 glass, the K-5 better still. /Pentax will get
>> more low light benefit for their development dollar from Moore's law
>> than they ever can hope to with fast primes./  My guess is that
>> they'll put their efforts into sharp zooms, possibly small, sharp
>> zooms.
>
> Italics is by me. One of the things that may follow from this statement is
> that Pentax may get more income by developing even slower lenses that
> moderately fast FA limiteds. This seems to be in line with the fact that all
> DA limited lenses are slower than F2.4.

Why would Pentax even consider developing more FA limiteds? They're not
optimized for the APS-C image circle. They were designed for cameras that are
no longer being produced. I expect Pentax will develop more fast primes, like
the DA 77 limited for example, but they'll be for APS-C image circle. And
Pentax has produced fast zooms that are for all practical purposes the equal of
the older primes. Yes, a 1.9 aperture offers advantages over a 2.8, but they're
minimal.
Paul