On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 11:43:55PM -0600, steve harley wrote:

> my first programming was on a calculator with 100 steps and a 10-digit
> numeric display, but then i was fortunate to have fairly advanced
> equipment when i got to college (dozens of VT-100 terminals on a DEC-20
> and a PDP-11/45) . . .

Hmm.

My first programming was on a Stantec Zebra (2K words of drum memory).
At college I had access to an extremely advanced computer - an Atlas -
and a PDP-7 (and, in assorted other departments, a PDP-8 and IBM 1130)
(And, a bit later on, I got hands-on access to play with an IBM 360/45).

My first programming for pay was on a DECSystem-10 at UMIST, with
Adage ARDS-1 storage tube displays (later joined by Tektronix 4010s).
By the time the DECSystem-20 (and, for that matter, the VT-100) came
along I was working for DEC.