On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 22:15:37 -0500
Scott Loveless <sdlovel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> O hai!  This is way off topic and concerns the reasons people feel
> compelled to do things in a group.  The PDML is such an eclectic
> group, though, I figured someone would know something about it.  Worst
> case scenario - half of you tell me to shut up and the other half gets
> into a flame war.  <g>

i am not quite sure whether i can answer the questions you raise, but
i'll pitch in anyway.

perhaps it's just a ritual of a brother/sisterhood? (refer the warm
fuzzy feeling you feel all over when you open your pdml account? :))
for some that can be a felt need, especially when modern society is
structured to keep individuals as isolated as possible (that's no
scientific statement, just an opinion masquerading as observation).

seriously, speaking for myself, i enjoy running and cycling, have been
running around 40km a week since april 09 but have participated only in
two 'official' events so, both half marathons. primarily because that
was chance to meet (running) friends from across the country. do the
run, have a drink together later and go back to our respective cities
again. i have no such close cycling friends, so i do all my cycling
(including the summer ride in the himalayas).

like i said, fwiw.. :)

regards, subash