Basic human psychology/motivations...
Need for Power.  Probably doesn't play to much in these situations.
Need for Achievement.  Absolutely!  'I can do this!'  Set goals then
achieve them.
Need for Affiliation.  Look at all the similar people I meet and can
become affiliated with.

Scott, I think it's pretty basic human motivation stuff here.  Regards,  Bob S.