On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Bob Sullivan <rf.sulli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Need for Achievement.  Absolutely!  'I can do this!'  Set goals then
> achieve them.

Right.  But why is an organized event with a gazillion other people
the motivator?

> Need for Affiliation.  Look at all the similar people I meet and can
> become affiliated with.

That could be it.  But why do we need some sanctioning body to
recognize it?  There are running clubs, bicycle clubs, swimming clubs,
etc. that are populated by people who will never compete, but they'll
do it for the camaraderie or the exercise or whatever.  Then, some of
them will train together so they can all go run some event with a
gazillion other people.  Which leads me to believe that in many people
with lemmingitis, the affiliation isn't the motivator.  It's the
recognition by the sanctioning body.  Again, why?

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com/fivetoedsloth/