Mark,
You are an accomplished runner, but a bit harsh with that 'pretend' comment.
I watched a young man, 6'2" and a little pudgy with low self-confidence change.
He trained and ran 3 or 4 marathons.
He lost a little weight but never became 'cross country runner' thin,
but he did gain a lot of confidence in himself.  He did it!
For most of us, just running a marathon would be a lofty goal.
Regards,  Bob S.