----- Original Message -----
From: "Shel Belinkoff"
Subject: Re: pushing 800 MAX 1 stop?

> Yes, I think we can agree on that, but ... if, for example we
shoot a
> 400 speed film at 800 and extend development because the
contrast range
> of the scene is low - low enough so that "underexposing" the
film by a
> stop there's still enough shadow density to allow for good
detail, with
> the extended developing time being used not so much as an
attempt to
> rescue lost detail but to increase the highlight density,
would you
> still call that a "push"?  IOW, there's no real attempt to
increase film
> speed so much as there's an attempt to increase the contrast
range - a
> typical expose for the shadows/develop for the highlights
scenario.  Of
> course, for those not familiar with all this, we're discussing
B&W
> negative film here.

No, I would call that proper development for the scene type,
combined with taking advantage of the film's inherent latitude.
We are always attempting to fit the film gamma into the paper
gamma as best we can. Utilizing extended or shortened
development times is the tool we use to do this.
When you get right down to it, I do not recognize the legitimacy
of the term "push processing", because of the implication that
goes along with the term that somehow we are getting a film
speed increase.
Of course, I am willing to be proven wrong, and I will be
attempting to do that very thing in the near future.

William Robb