On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 05:03:05PM -0500, paul stenquist wrote:

> >> I think it can get its panties stuck up its crack if the document template
> >> gets messed up. I've been using it day in, day out for donkeys' years and
> >> in
> >> most situations it seems to be ok if you can keep things simple. At the
> >> place I'm working now, though, they have it set up so that users can't set
> >> up and use their own default template and I find that the file sizes
> >> inflate
> >> really quickly for some reason which I haven't discovered yet.
> >
> > That's usually because history versioning is turned on.  Turn it off and
> > document sizes revert to something a lot more reasonable.
> >
> > That said, however: a .doc file (or a .pdf) is *not* the way to store plain
> > text, which is a concept that I struggle to get across to some people.  I
> > don't
> > want a 2MB binary email attachment that I have to open in an external
> > program,
> > and I don't want a .doc file attached as a "comment" in a project tracker.
>
> Then you're different than all the publishers out there. I have never
> encountered a magazine or newspaper that didn't want .doc files. They're the
> industry standard. Yes, they may suck, but they're the industry standard.
> Paul

I'm not talking about submissions to a print shop; I'm talking about email,
postings to discussion groups, and comments added to a project tracking system.
Word documents are most emphatically *not* the standard there; in fact they
are not allowed as the only representation in RFC-compliant email, and many
discussion groups (such as the PDML) don't allow them either.