From: paul stenquist

On Nov 14, 2010, at 6:46 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

Micro$oft's programmers don't know what they're doing, how the
hell they going to know better than I do what I want to do? I
don't really mind them putting all the gew-gaws in there, but I
do mind them making it so difficult to turn that crap off.

Why should I have to fight the software to write what *I* want to
write the way *I* want to write it?

Simple answer: To make it easy for those of us who work with the same
kind of document every day -- writers. One inch margins and 12 point
Times New Roman will do fine thank you. Click on Word and get to
work. It's a word processor. It's software for writers. Works fine.
Paul

Still doesn't answer why they made it so difficult to turn the crap off when you need to.

It insisted on re-formatting work I'd already managed to beat into submission, undoing what I'd struggled for hours to get right. Auto-format is no good if it insists on formatting the document completely different from how I require the document to be formatted.

If it won't do what *I* want it to do, it's worthless.