On 11/23/2010 1:11 AM, drd1...@gmail.com wrote:
Well, today my FA 20-35 took a tumble and now the focus is so tight
the camera can't drive it.  aside from the K28, this was my widest
lens. Still, I may replace is with a more modern zoom. What
suggestions do you have, based on your experience.  I admit I find it
increasingly difficult to keep swapping lenses in a travel
situation.

It really depends on the monetary constraints. What comes to mind that seemingly wasn't mentioned or mentioned briefly is:

1. Sigma 24-60/2.8 - not as wide, but faster with very good sharpness and bokeh. Downsize - somewhat different colors and big filters. Beware of sample variation and back/front focus issues. Mine requires -7 focus correction with the K-7.

2. DA 16-45/4 - compared directly with your FA 20-35 by photozone. I don't have one, but whenever I borrowed one from fellow PDMLers it came out really good.

3. Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 or 17-70/2.8-4.0. I tried the former when Jaume came to Israel and it was surprisingly good.

4. DA 17-70/4 SDM - successor of DA 16-45 in a sense. SDM is either an issue or a non-issue for you.

5. Tamron 17-50/2.8 - cheap alternative to DA* 16-50/2.8. But the IQ is anything but cheap. Actually it is very good judging from what I've seen from the same lens for Canon mount that my friends have.

6. FA 24-90/3.5-4.5 - wobbly build, good optics. With this one you'd loose a bit on the wide end but gain seriously on the long end.

HTH.

Boris