Larry Colen wrote:

On Nov 25, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Dario Bonazza wrote:

I find this picture quite fascinating in more than one way:
www.dariobonazza.com/public/K5_00898_1.jpg

K-5, ISO 12800, 1/200s f/4, Sigma 17-70mm @70mm f/4 (full aperture)
focused on the guitar.

Very cool.
Was it on auto exposure?

It looks like the blue channel is a bit blown out, which is a large part
of the effect, and something that I have to deal with a lot with stage
lighting. Is the blue blown out in raw, or just in the jpeg? With the
expanded dynamic range of the K-5 I'd love to see what a shot like that
would look like, exposed to not blow out the blue.

That picture is converted from RAW with Camera Raw, with auto-everything
settings but a touch of fill light. It was taken Av, with the lens wide open
and the subject under a blue spot, which was the only lighting for it. Hence
in practice you cannot balance the blue cast, as getting rid of the blue
means having no light for the picture. I've tried setting the temperature
slider all the way right, up to 50.000K, and you still have quite a blue
cast all over.
This is keeping the color balance of the scene (subject+stage) while
underexposing 1 stop:
www.dariobonazza.com/public/K5_00898_-1EV.jpg
The hardest approach I could think of to meet your request is -2 stops
exposure and color temperature up to 50.000 trying to balance on the subject
(and the stage to hell):
www.dariobonazza.com/public/K5_00898_-2EV_50000K.jpg

And don't forget that @ 12800 the dynamic range of the K-5 is not a miracle.
That "wow" DR only happens @ ISO 100 and a little above.