Dario,

Something about those photos is managing to crash both safari and chrome on my
iMac.
On Nov 25, 2010, at 11:59 PM, Dario Bonazza wrote:

> Larry Colen wrote:
>
>> On Nov 25, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Dario Bonazza wrote:
>>
>>> I find this picture quite fascinating in more than one way:
>>> www.dariobonazza.com/public/K5_00898_1.jpg
>>>
>>> K-5, ISO 12800, 1/200s f/4, Sigma 17-70mm @70mm f/4 (full aperture)
>>> focused on the guitar.
>>
>> Very cool.
>> Was it on auto exposure?
>>
>> It looks like the blue channel is a bit blown out, which is a large part
>> of the effect, and something that I have to deal with a lot with stage
>> lighting. Is the blue blown out in raw, or just in the jpeg? With the
>> expanded dynamic range of the K-5 I'd love to see what a shot like that
>> would look like, exposed to not blow out the blue.
>
> That picture is converted from RAW with Camera Raw, with auto-everything
> settings but a touch of fill light. It was taken Av, with the lens wide open
> and the subject under a blue spot, which was the only lighting for it. Hence
> in practice you cannot balance the blue cast, as getting rid of the blue
> means having no light for the picture. I've tried setting the temperature
> slider all the way right, up to 50.000K, and you still have quite a blue
> cast all over.

Yes, I've run into the problem of not being able to adjust the temperature or
tint sliders far enough.

What I usually try to do is expose to not clip the dominant color, and let the
others fall where they will.  Sometimes I can bring color balance in closer
with the camera than I can with lightroom. It would be nice to be able to just
control each color channel separately before applying white balance. I.e. Turn
the blue down two stops, then click on a white point.

> This is keeping the color balance of the scene (subject+stage) while
> underexposing 1 stop:
> www.dariobonazza.com/public/K5_00898_-1EV.jpg

What I saw before my computer crashed looked promising.