From: Boris Liberman

Hi!

The holidays are coming near and I'm having a couple of gigs at
Galia's class. One involved shooting the general rehearsal of the
little musical they've been making. Given the fact that the hall was
empty I could shoot as I pleased. So I also shot a number of shots
from the distance.

My flash is Metz 40 MZ-2 which is a good flash. In particular it
auto-zooms as per the actual focal length taking into account the crop
factor of the camera. However, the ceiling of the hall wasn't the
ideal surface for bouncing and the distance (10m and upwards) was too
much to play the bounce game. So I ended up with many properly exposed
shots but with this ugly shadow behind everyone and everything.

Is there a way to at least make these shadows less prominent during
the shoot? I reckon the likes of diffuser are necessary but I'd rather
ask someone who has direct experience with this, as I am total klutz
to all things flash.

Something like this might help.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544390-REG/LumiQuest_LQ_104.html