You might find the metz 40 a bit of a pain with some of these accessories. A great design in some ways, it suffers from the fact that all accessories are designed for more "normal" shaped flashes.

Metz themselves make (made?) a bounce card for it, the Bounce Diffuser 40-73, which I picked up cheap with one of my used 40 series flashes. Dunno how easy these are to find, but I wouldn't pay too much for one, considering you could make one easy enough.

Diffusers like stofen, fong, et al, work pretty well where you can get some bounce. They throw light ut in all directions, and it comes back from all directions. This is great in normal rooms, etc, but if you're in a huge hall/theatre the benefit may be minimal. If you're in close enough, some benefit can be had from a larger unit like a fong, but not so much as a softbox/large reflector.

The lumiquest SB-III or style softbox diffusers simply work by increasing the area of the flash, so you'll get softer shadows. Even still, you have to be reasonably close for these to have a huge effect, but they do work well at close range.

- Peter