Hi Pål,

Pål Audun Jensen wrote:

> I've not noticed similar behavior with the MZ-S and the 43 Limited, but
> then I never use AF with the 43mm.
> Is this problem constant?

Pretty much - occasionally it appears to focus correctly, but only in
the near field.  It is always quite noticeable off in the far distance.

> That is, is it always off? The MZ-S may plays
> tricks on you dependent on how it's programmed; if AF fails it may use
> the AF sensor beside the one you're using to achieve focus. Then it
> ficuses on something else than you assume. Do a test where you lock a
> sensor.

I have tried the camera with only the central, lower sensor activated,
and selectively with some of the other sensors but get the same
behaviour consistenly.  I have also switched off the custom function
which switches to another sensor when focus cannot be achieved.

> The lens do communicate with the camera telling it where it is on the
> helicoid and the camera use this information to achieve correct focus.
> If the lens is off somehow, it's possible that AF will not work as
> intended.

This is what I suspect in this case, but I observed the same thing with
the second 43mm lens I tried in another shop which prompted my concern
that this might be a general issue with this lens.

> BTW I'm really not sure any AF system is precise enough to focus 1,9 +
> lenses accurately. At least manual focusing is more precise.

Well, I have a Contax AX which has this back-focussing mechanism and it
has no trouble focussing with pin-sharp accuracy with my 50mm f1.4
Planar.  This camera is equipped with split image and microprism
focussing screen so it is very easy to see how precisely it can do its
job.  The AF on the Contax is not by any stretch of the imagination
state-of-the art and although it achieves focus by a very different
route I would expect a modern AF camera to be able to do as good a job
in terms of accuracy and substantially better in terms of sensitivity
and speed (in these latter two areas the MZ-S certainly excels).

I do not buy into the philosophy that AF SLR cameras cannot focus
accurately enough.  If this is true then the whole concept of AF is a
massive con.  Why do Canon market a 50mm f1.0 lens if an EOS is
incapable of focussing it accurately?  Why does Pentax market 50mm f1.4
AF lenses if you can only focus them with any precision manually?  Why
market the Limited series of AF lenses, widely lauded as some of the
finest 35mm lenses in production, if the cameras on which you mount them
are incapable of focussing them correctly.  It has occured to me that
the reason the 28-70 zoom appears to be spot on is the f4 maximum
aperture disguising the fact that the focus is off.  But I have looked
very carefully to see whether I can correct the focus by switching to
manual but so far it always seems to get it right.  And more
importantly, it will focus to infinity, unlike the 43 which never goes
much beyond the 8m mark.

I would be very interested to try out my new camera with a selection of
other fast Pentax AF lenses but unfortunately do not have these at my
disposal (and neither do any of the camera shops within a 50 mile radius
of York!!) which is why I had to travel to London to buy the camera in
the first place.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Best regards
Martin