On Dec 6, 2010, at 10:58 AM, Miserere wrote:

> On 6 December 2010 10:06, P. J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I read your description, otherwise I have no opinion, I'm still using a
>> K20D.
>>
>> The difference in motor sound could be accounted for from the difference in
>> body composition.
>
> I was wondering about that, but they don't sound similar. Anyone else
> think the different bodies can change the sound so much?
>

>   —M.

Similar but different sound issue: I have two K20D bodies which replaced two
K10D bodies. Which in turn replaced two *ist-D bodies. Which replaced two MZ-S
bodies. Since at least the MZ-S period, my practice has been to have one body
with added vertical grip, one without. Bigger heavier lenses go on the body
with the grip attached. With the K20D I noticed that the shutter sound on the
two bodies was different, one much quieter than the other.  While at GFM in
2009 I asked John Carlsson (sp?) about the difference, wondering if one was
somehow defective. We went through a series of comparisons of the two bodies,
with and without grips, with different lenses mounted, etc. Conclusion was that
they both sounded the same as long as they both had a grip attached (or not)
and as long as they had the same lens attached. But the variation in dampening
effect produced by the different attachments was quite dramatic. I presume that
I had not noticed the difference on earlier body pairs simply because the
shutter was basically louder to start with, and therefore there was a smaller
percentage change due to dampening factors.

I would not be at all surprised to hear that the same AF motor in two different
bodies would sound quite different.

stan