It's a philosophical difference, and no more "indefensible"
than the US system of "one law for the rich, one for the poor"
which allows those with deep enough pockets to buy their way
out of just about any situation.

Under any system there will be cases that some find offensive.
You were just unfortunate to be on the receiving end of one
such situation.  In an ideal world the rules would cover all
cases, but realistically that will never happen.