At 4:39 PM -0500 12/13/10, paul stenquist wrote:
I bought my 24-inch iMac about two years ago. The hard drive failed after a few months. Apple replaced it with a larger drive, so I was okay with that. About a month ago, I had a serious failure. Took the computer to the apple store and they replaced the logic board and graphics card. I have apple care, so it was still under warranty. Yesterday, slightly less than a month later, it had another catastrophic failure. Seemed like it might be the logic board again. I took it to the apple store this afternoon. I asked the tech guy if the iMacs might have a problem with overheating or something. He said, no, and they rarely have problems with the IMac 24s. I told him I was pretty unhappy about having to bring it in for the third time. He said he understood -- and he gave me a brand new iMac 27, a much better computer with an excellent monitor. I'm pleased as could be. Waiting for it to restore all my files from a Time Machine volume right now. Hope to be processing my pics with it by
 tomorrow.

Woo hoo!

Wow! That's great!

A few weeks ago my 4 1/2 year old Imac G5 started going to sleep right in the middle of a task (like typing). I did some research and learned that they will do that when they overheat, and they overheat when the cooling vents get clogged with dust. (There is a long slot across the top and a circular vent behind the leg.) I took some canned air to them and blew out an enormous amount of crud. The computer has been fine since.

--

Steve Sharpe
d...@eastlink.ca

http://earth.delith.com/photo_gallery.html