Thanks for the link, Bruce!  Really informative stuff, there.

And, yes -- that guy must have a pretty robust budget.

-- Walt

On 12/15/2010 9:47 AM, Bruce Walker wrote:
On 10-12-13 2:19 PM, Walter Gilbert wrote:
 Hi all,

I have a friend who makes some really nice turquoise jewelry (http://www.sisdesigns.com/) and she's asked me if I'd like to take a shot at doing some photographs of her work for catalogs and design conference submissions. We've already worked on some rudimentary lighting and staging for the pieces, and are going to do some experimenting today. Before I jump in, I figured I'd ask if any of you might have any pointers.

Of course, I'll be shooting in RAW, and have decided to bracket the shots. Beyond that, I wonder if it would be best to use my M-50/2, or my 18-55mm kit lens, or something longer?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer!

-- Walt

The tutorials at Akel Studio are a very good look at the lighting issues including reflections, preserving gloss, etc. ... http://goo.gl/x8sJK

Ignore that he's obviously above your (or my!) budget for gear; the principles are the same if you go DIY.

-bmw