Walt,
Good suggestions by Christine, especially the light box.
On lens selection, I try to remember that 100mm lenses give a working
distance of 100mm,
while 50mm lenses give a 50mm working distance.
That's why 100mm Macros are more popular...more room to set-up.
Tripods, small apertures, and lots of light are your friends.
Regards,  Bob S.