> that there are a couple spots on the print where some highlights are blown
> out -- small part of a cheek (or was it a forehead), and small portion of
> the baby's very light-colored pajamas.  Also, the dark background seems to
> have some very subtle granularity to it (banding is maybe the right term?)
> which is not present in the midtones or highlights.  Almost like printing on
> a conventional paper with too little latitude -- too contrasty.  I was just
> using the automatic printer settings and did not adjust the printer's gamma,
> and I set the paper selection to heavyweight matte (which I believe prints
> at the highest resolution of the printer -- 2880x720?).  Anything in
> particular I should be adjusting here to optimize the appearance of the

Bill the default setting on my 870 for the matte is 720 instead of the max
1440. I have had similar problems with the "banding" but solved them two
ways.

#1. Run an alignment check on the head. Sometimes they do get out of
adjustment after they leave the factory.

#2. Look at /www.computer-darkroom.co.uk/ for specific instructions on how
to change the print driver settings. They are talking about ICM settings at
first but get to the drivers later in the article.

Might help.

BTW, the matte heavyweight is one of my favorite papers. I just don't use
the default settings.

Best,

JeffW.