On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:18:59 -0500, Peifer, William [OCDUS] wrote:

> I thought I'd learn whatever fundamentals I need to learn using
> Epson's less expensive heavyweight matte paper, then try some of the more
> expensive varieties once I get some practice.

So far, I'm getting the best results from Kodak Ultima glossy paper.
The JetDirect Glossy and Premium papers do almost as well.  The Epson
papers are middle of the pack.

> Anything in
> particular I should be adjusting here to optimize the appearance of the
> print?  Or is this just typical of the relatively cheap ($15 for 50 sheets)
> matte paper?

Are your scanner and monitor color calibrated?  Did you print from
Photoshop?  If so, did you select the printer's color profile in the
Print Options dialog box?  That will help, though I've found the Epson
profile for the 820 to be a little red and a little dark on every paper
I've tried (the prints come out redder and darker than the image on the
monitor or original print).

TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ