On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 06:39:57PM -0500, Cory Waters wrote:
> Thinking about surprising Santa this year and stuffing my own stocking.
> I'd likely use the lens for youth soccer (futball), nature, and auto
> racing shots.
> I know the 2.8 would be nice (faster is ALWAYS better, right?)
> The Pentax lens has a bit more reach in either direction.  My
> current lens for shooting these soccer games is the DA 50-200.  I
> get decent shots but but they mostly need cropping.  The extra 50mm
> would be nice and I'd be moving from 5.6 to F4 so that's better.
> The Pentax would have better integration with my K10 and future bodies.
> Do any of the 3rd party lenses work with the supersonic focus motor?
>
> The Pentax lens is more than a little bit more money though...
>
> What to do?
>
> Cory

One advantage of an 80-200/2.8 is that you can use it with a 1.4xTC
to get extra reach (even more than the 60-250) at f/4.

That being said, though, I've been considering getting a 60-250
myself, because it's more convenient not to have to use a TC.
But for now I'll have to carry on making do with the 80-200.