Cory, for whatever it is worth, I tried Bob's 60-250 in Chicago briefly and was very impressed with its ergonomics. The IQ is second to none as many examples on this list show.

Still, I recently shot a portrait of a co-worker across the room with Nikon 70-200/2.8 (letter soup omitted due to lack of memory) with D300. I used 200 mm and f/2.8 to isolate the subject. Was very pleasantly surprised.

And finally, I've met two days ago yet another Pentaxian friend who bout 17-70/4 SDM not a long ago and who also has a modern manual focus zoom lens on his hands now.

Please don't misunderstand me, but I'd rather steer away from SDM lenses.

Boris

P.S. Without knowing too much details, two lenses come to mind: Sigma 100-300/4 and Tamron 70-200/2.8. One of my friends has Tamron for Canon mount. It is honking big and appropriately heavy. But it yields good pictures...