It seems like those of you who have the 60-250 do not regret your purchase.
Some other lenses have been suggested.
The 300 prime would be nice, but I'm too lazy for that lens.
The Bigma is interesting to be sure. I'm not sure about spending so much for a lens with 5.6 in the name, and it's REALLY big. I may be too lazy for that lens too. I've heard some unflattering things about the Sigma 100-300 (someone I know said he wouldn't sell his to anyone he knew) Sigma has a newer 120-300, 120-400, and 150-500 lenses, all in the 4.5-6.3(!) range. I'm wondering it I'd be frustrated in the short end of the range with those.

I DO want the HSM to work on whatever I buy. I get your reluctance Boris. But like you said, there are some advantages to living a huge market like the U.S.

I'm not one who's super nit-picky about lens sharpness. My version of the brick wall tests include my whacking the lens against it when walking through doorways, etc. I figure I'm screwing up way more of my shots than this lens will. Chances are, the 60-250 is way better than 90% of my kit anyway.

Now, how do I get this past Mrs. Claus?

CW