My all-time favorite classic rangefinder is the Canon G-III QL17.
Very inexpensive and a lens which is quite good -- 40mm 1.7.
They go < $50 in pretty good shape.  Just use a 675 battery for proper
voltage/metering.

Another option might be a simpler rangefinder like the Olympus XA.  35/2.8.
Also inexpensive.  A76 battery.

If you would like more electronics with it, there is the Contax T2.  38mm f2.8.
Certainly the nicest point-and-shoot I've ever used.  123A battery.

And you can always spend a bundle on a Leica.

If you'd like the versatility of digital and a rangefinder together, with lens
interchangability, there is the Leica D-Lux for $TooMuch, or its $500 Panasonic
equivalent.

I think I got this with with a Canon G-III:
http://www.brendemuehl.net/images/nufsaid.html

My favorite characteristic is that the viewfinder shows you extra --
this allows you to see what is coming in and shoot accordingly.
It's just a fraction of a second, but it helps.
And it is so light-weight that you can take it anywhere.
The only issue is finding 48mm filters, but that's not a really big deal.

Sincerely,

Collin Brendemuehl

http://kerygmainstitute.org

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose"
-- Jim Elliott