On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Andrew Allen <andrewdall...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Back to photography, I was wondering if anyone has the same affliction
> I do; that is, using certain focal lengths almost exclusively.  I find
> that 90% of my needs are covered by the rough range of 24mm - 85mm
> (this being a 35mm equivalent range).  That is wide through portrait -
> clearly, I don't do any birding or serious sports work.  Recently, I
> had a friend told me I should try out a RF for my needs - of course
> I'd love an M9 - but I've yet to win the lottery.  Any thoughts on
> this focal length constriction, and the use of a RF for street
> shooting versus a DSLR?

I don't know whether I'd consider it an affliction.

Most of my photography is done with prime lenses in the range of a
wide-normal to portrait telephoto. The longest lens I use with any
real frequency is about 135mm in Equivalent 135 terms, and even that
is infrequent compares to a straight normal lens, a modest wide angle
and a short portrait tele. I use primes mostly because I become very
comfortable with a particular field of view and would rather have just
that then be constantly trying to decide whether I want to try more or
less FoV (aside from the simple technical benefits that primes usually
show over zooms in terms of more lens speed, lack of bulk and lens
performance).

Which specific lenses I use are dependent on the system I'm using,
which currently is Olympus FourThirds, so I won't bother with
extolling the virtues of my current lenses to the Pentax discussion
list. However, I've found that, for me, an ultra-wide zoom, a fast
normal, and a fast portrait tele* accounts for 95% of what I need/use.
I have longer lenses for those occasions when they're useful but only
rarely just head out the door carrying them for an unplanned photo
shoot.

For Street Photography, I've used everything from a Minox subminiature
to a 4x5 Speed Graphic, but the handiest camera to have for this is
something with a wide-normal to normal lens that is modest size and
handles well. I don't find myself needing extremes of lens speed very
often since I usually zone focus for this kind of shooting ... f/5 to
f/8 is what the lens is usually set to. When I was shooting with
Pentax gear, the *ist DS and K10D fitted with either of the DA21 or
FA43 Limiteds were my favorite shooters for this kind of work.
Nowadays, I tend to use the ultrawide zoom at the wide-normal FoV
(18-22mm) setting or the normal lens (25mm).

RF cameras like the Leica M have a small advantage in being a bit
quieter and slightly more compact, but the advantages of a particular
camera type are way over-rated. A good camera that works the way you
expect, responsively, and suits your hands well ... with a good
quality lens that suits your FoV preferences ... is all that's needed.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com

* If you want the detail: my entire present lens kit consists of

Zuiko Digital 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5
:: a superb piece, better performance than nearly any set of primes
I've had with comparable FoV on any format. That's an EFL of about
20-45mm

Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
:: The best normal lens I've had since I sold my Leica Summicron-M
50mm f/2 in 2002. 50mm EFL

ZD 35mm f/3.5 Macro
:: An extremely high quality performer for a "consumer grade" lens at
a shockingly low price, useful for much more than just macro work.
70mm EFL.

ZD 50mm f/2 Macro
:: Without a doubt one of the very best 50mm lenses ever made for any
camera. 100mm EFL

ZD 50mm f/2 fitted to EC14  - 70mm f/2.8 Macro
:: One of the best 50mm lenses ever made fitted to the best
teleconverter I've ever tried. This is my long lens. 140mm EFL

Pentax SMC Takumar 135mm f/3.5
:: Amazingly good performer, very small and light, that I got for
nothing from a friend who found it in the disposal bin at Good Will.
EFL 270mm, 380mm with the teleconverter.

I use the 25/1.4, 11-22, 35 and 50 in order of decreasing frequency
where the 11-22 and 35 are about on par and the 25 runs about 60% of
my shooting.