On Dec 27, 2010, at 6:24 PM, steve harley wrote:

> after reading through this thread it seems like working with Lightroom may be
> distracting you from finding out why your images aren't sharp; Lightroom
> can't really fix this; the sharpening effect essentially emphasizes the edges
> of shapes, it doesn't really "fix" blurry images
>
> if your images are blurry i'd suspect
>
> 1) you are shooting handheld at slow speed and the camera is not steady enough
> 2) your subjects are moving too fast for the speed of your exposure
> 3) you've got a problem with the focus and/or the lens

Thanks, Larry. I'm glad you commented on this. I wasn't expecting much from
Lightroom in this connection, though noise reduction did improve one poor image
I'd selected to experiment with.

You're right about the hand-held part. I have yet to put that ball head I got
from Adorama to work. And sometimes I have had to resort to slow shutter
speeds. But mostly I'm at least at 125, mostly 180 or 250. Most of my subjects
to date have been stationary or moving slowly if at all. One of the sharpest
images from the Pittsburgh trip, though, was of a mural on the end of a row of
buildings shot from a moving car. So I guess it's at least possible.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "problem with focus," but I suspect the
problem is somewhere in #3. If by "problems with focus" you mean "not focusing
well," that may be it. All my lenses are manual focus, and I want to keep it
that way, at least for a while, at least till I get this problem solved. A lot
of the time I'm shooting in situations that require quick set-up, and in those
situations focusing may not be done as carefully as it might be. What
disappoints me is when I am "focusing on" focus, trying to get it sharp, and
the image still turns out soft.

I don't think the problem is eyesight. I do wear glasses, but my eyesight is
pretty good, and I mostly wear the glass while driving at night. I don't need
them for reading, working at the computer, or most of the things for which
others require them. My K1000 SE had a split image view finder. I looked into a
KatzEye for my *ist DS, but I'm uncertain about it.

I wonder about lenses. I haven't attempted to evaluate any of them in this
connection -- and how would I know, in any given instance, that the problem was
with the lens? -- but I've tried to pick lenses that have a reputation for
producing sharp images and avoiding those that do not. My collection: A 28/2.8,
M 50/1.7, A 50/2.0, M 100/4.0 macro, 2 M 135/3.5s, and one A 70-210/4.0.

I've been going about this slowly. I am not shooting regularly. I tend to go
long times without shooting with occasional intense bursts, like the trip to
Pittsburgh. I'm really just getting comfortable holding the camera, and at
making adjustments quickly. I'm getting better at exposure but have more to
learn there. Composition has been pretty could all along.

It may just be that things are still coming together for me. I know this is the
main thing that bothers me right now. Maybe I'm getting to the place where I
can make a little progress with it.

The shot that occasioned my first post to the list, and that led eventually to
my getting the camera with which it was made, is this.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1604247/PESO/PESO%20--%20%20prayerserviceatstmichaels.html
 It is certainly sharp. I can't come close to that.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net