On 2011-01-01 19:15 , paul stenquist wrote:
Does it save them without any changes? I've thought about trying Open Office.
Seems to work for most users. Not sure if it's as good on Mac as it is on PC.

i'd expect it to change the document files when they are resaved, but to preserve the appearance of the documents

OpenOffice works well on my Mac, i've used it quite a bit including for detailed documents with page-layout type features; i've had a few problems getting it to use OpenType fonts and to output high-res images when exporting PDFs, but within the last year or so a new version cleared up most of the problems i saw; i haven't used it for such detailed stuff for a while though

also i found its style sheet system even harder to manage than Word's, and precise positioning of inline graphics to be a black art

for just text with basic styling applied you should expect no problems