From: Godfrey DiGiorgi

BTW: What value is there in ".docx" files vs .doc files? or even vs
.rtf files? I've never seen one. I'd be curious to know. Pages '09
reads .DOCX files too, how they differ from .DOC files and what
advantage they pose seems invisible.

Opening .docx files requires M$ Office 2007 or later.

The "advantage" is a file format that can't be opened by earlier versions of Word. You have to buy an upgrade to at least Office 2007 if you are required to work with .docx files.

.docx indicates the file is compliant with Micro$oft's proprietary Office Open XML "standard" (not to be confused with XML, Office XML, Open Office XML or Open XML).